The right 55-inch television can transform daily entertainment and serve as an affordable entry point into 4K HDR viewing. Thanks to maturing technologies like OLED and quantum dot LED-LCD – stellar performance and rich features now come at midrange pricing. This comprehensive 2024 buyer’s guide explores superb 55” options across diverse price tiers.
TCL cements their reputation for superb bang-for-buck with the brilliant 6-Series. Built around a QLED quantum dot panel and mini-LED backlighting, this Roku TV achieves colors and contrast that shame more expensive models. Improved gaming connectivity caters to next-gen consoles.
- Vibrant wide color from quantum dots
- Mini-LED backlight with exceptional contrast control
- Dolby Vision HDR content optimization
- Roku TV offers a sublime smart platform
- Affordable for the cutting-edge display specs
- Lacks the inky blacks of self-lit OLED
- Confusingly similar naming across model years
Delivering near flagship performance at midrange pricing, TCL 6-Series TVs stay ahead of rivals with superb displays and beloved Roku TV integration.
LG perfected self-illuminating OLED technology years ago but keeps innovating to slash weight and embed premium gaming attributes into the superb C2. This organic LED television combines infinite contrast and stellar color accuracy for sheer creative freedom.
- Pixel-level dimming grants flawless black levels
- Rapid response and low input lag when gaming
- Integrated AI delivers smarter streaming
- Dolby Vision IQ adapts HDR to room conditions
- Four HDMI ports with HDMI 2.1 bandwidth
- Risk of permanent image retention
- Peak brightness lags newer LCD televisions
For discerning viewers craving artistic color palettes and reference-grade blacks – LG OLED C2 televisions represent a worthy stretch upgrade.
Best High-End LCD
Not sold on OLED? Samsung’s flagship 4K Neo QLED television eclipses standard LCD television contrast and brightness through precision local dimming courtesy of mini-LED arrays. This highly advanced backlight imbues this quantum dot television with levels of pop and sparkle that stun guests.
- Quantum HDR 24X color refinement engine
- Mini-LED lighting with local dimming zones
- 1300+ nits peak brightness trounces OLED
- Next-gen connectivity including 4 HDMI ports
- Sleek minimalist design that impresses
- Blooming around bright objects on dark backgrounds
- Samsung smart ecosystem pushes ads
- Ultrawide viewing angles still favor LG OLED
Short of purchasing an 8K television – the QN90B Neo QLED TV represents Samsung’s most opulent 4K flagship display serving up incredible color and contrast.
Major manufacturers like TCL now sell decent-performing and well-equipped LED TVs at shockingly affordable pricing. The brand’s venerable 4-Series Roku model lacks bells and whistles but nails basics.
- Bargain basement pricing impresses
- Built-in Roku TV offers thousands of apps
- Accurate colors and skin tones out of the box
- Includes 3 HDMI and single USB input
- 60Hz panel struggles with fast gaming visuals
- Limited brightness and contrast ratios
- Only high dynamic range format is HDR10
For shoppers on tight budgets, it’s impossible to criticize the stunning value proposition of TCL’s 2024 4-Series Roku televisions.